Monday, September 20, 2010

My subject, in other words.

   I wanted to post this sooner but I had not figured a way to ask my roommates/friends about my subject matter. The first resource I would use is my best friend who is also an education major and I felt that this assignment I should ask someone who was not an education major what they thought about my specific subject. I have asked my roommates before about concepts in education. It usually gets me very annoyed. Mostly because they tend to believe teaching is easy. Which, as we have seen, is obviously not. This assignment however, fell into my lap, and I found that rather entertaining.
   One of the subjects that I rather love is math. Most people are probably making that scrunchy nose face right now and saying I hate math. That is perfectly fine. That is the subject that I would have asked my roommate about. So now it comes out, no I did not actually ask her, I overheard her. Eh yeah it is eavesdropping, but it fit so perfectly I really could not resist.
   My friend received a phone call asking her about a math problem. It was a "simple" algebra problem. The problem had one variable and her friend was asking on how to solve said problem. The way that she responded, I feel, was the way people view most teachers approach things. The problem was easy to her. And her friend kept asking her, "but why would you do that?" she kept saying because that is the way you do it. She also said "well you can do that but I do not know why you would it would just be stupid." The sad portion to me is that she had no patience when she was asked this question. Which is something that was not surprising. Through school some of us met teachers who did not have that patience and we were pushed to the side to figure out things for ourselves. I also found it was interesting that my friend said, "this is easy," when her friend kept asking her questions. I feel some teachers may think that, "hey I understand this concept, it is super easy," and they get frustrated when their students do not understand the concept. They may also think this student is just not trying, and they are wanting the teacher to do the problem for them. Another part of the conversation that I heard was the fact that after the phone conversation was over, my friend looked at our other friend and pretty much laughed at the fact that her other friend did not get how to solve the math problem. Not only do I find this gut wrenching, but I also think that it happens more often in the school setting.
   This assignment, to me, proves a lot of misconceptions about teachers. Teachers are labeled as people who do not care about their students. They tend to just keep moving on from subject to subject. Yes, I understand that has to happen sometimes, but I also feel that happens more times that is necessary. But I feel Professor Kruse and other like him at Drake are really trying to keep us from doing that and having actual care for our students. That is important in any subject at any grade. And it is possible that we become such amazing teachers that our students will have to ability to explain how to work through problems with other students without becoming frustrated themselves.  

4 comments:

  1. Great post with lots of insight, but where's the learning theory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I feel that some people have a lot of knowledge but are unsure how to get it across to their students. It takes a special person to know how to get the material across to the student. I think everyone lacks respect for teachers because they think it is easy. However, I bet if they sat down and tried to do it they would change their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that some teachers can have such a great understanding of a topic that they find it hard to explain. I don't agree with teachers who talk about how easy or simply a task is because that would only further frustrate students and does not serve to motivate them at all. I feel like this could be a great example when referring to the more knowledgeable peer and what that should truly look like. Though I do understand that math can be a very hard topic to explain why you do each step because there isn't always a reason to be given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like your friend used her previous ideas of teaching to try to help her friend understand math. We all know math is one of the more difficult areas to teach because it's hard for kids to grasp, making them like it less. But your friend seemed to be using CLT in that she used her schema to pull previous knowledge out about basic math problems. She may even have used her previous experiences with her teachers to mold the way she taught. She also became the more knowledgeable peer, however she used this to put her friend at a disadvantage. This is how she seemed to use SLT.

    ReplyDelete