Friday, September 24, 2010

So Far, Any Thoughts?

   This class is a rather interesting one. I try to explain to my friends how we do receive number grades and how it is more of an assessing yourself type class. As we have spoken about in class before, the way the class is ran does not fit into the schema of a classroom. Their schema says, there has to be numbers for our grades and I should just have to tell you vocab and be done. However, this class is not hard for me to accommodate into my schema. I feel that I have learned more and absorbed more from the way this class is ran. With Prof. Kruse constantly making sure we are actively mentally engaged really helps as well.
   Also, the way we learn about the specific learning theories and all aspects of teaching is by experiencing them. I find this very helpful. It was easier to grasp Developmental Learning Theory because we had seen how it worked when it came to understanding topics. We saw the Zone of Proximal development being tested when we were asked to describe how we believe the moon phases works. Working through the learning theories and having them explain why it is easier to learn a certain way is very helpful. I really have enjoyed this class so far this semester. 

3 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience with my friends. They didn't quite get how things work. They expect that college classes be assigned grades and rate the students. However, since Professor Kruse does not do that with us, my friends almost have a negative feeling about him without meeting him or being in one of his classes. Professor Kruse's way of teaching does make me a little nervous though, because I like to know where I stand in a class and often watch my grades closely. Hopefully everything will work out for all of us though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely has been an interesting one. It definitely feels like a lot of abstract, but I have definitely have been learning a lot, and, even if I still think I have a lot that I still don't understand, I have time to think about it. I do find myself assessing myself a lot in this class, along with all of the other ones that I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that since it is a more open class with more freedom it seems easier to learn. I feel like I have absorbed more information in this class because I'm not worried about what is going to be on the test. However, I would like to have a stable form of grading because it would be nice to see where I stand in the class.

    ReplyDelete