Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Managing a Classroom

   Managing a classroom is something some teachers do well and some do not. For myself I find it important to establish respect at the very beginning to start managing your classroom. We discussed in class having high expectations for each student. I also see that as respecting a student and their learning. To connect respect to learning theories it can be related to Behaviorist Learning Theory. The students receive a stimulus and respond to the stimulus. If they are shown respect and what I expect from them, they are more likely to respect myself and the classroom. Another important part of classroom management is making sure students are on task. This relates to the motivation factors of each student. If I relate the information to them in a form they can understand and relate to, they will be more willing to understand the information or to complete the task. Linking this to learning theory corresponds with Contructivist Learning Theory. I connect the new information to their previous schemas they will have a better understanding of the new information.
   Another portion of classroom management is how to handle situations. If a student walks in with a bad attitude and is throwing things and creating a scene I would first walk over and stand by him and see if that stopped his actions. If this did not stop his actions and they continued, I would ask him to stay after class and ask him questions about his actions in class. If he is truly disruptive during the entire class to where I am unable to teach, I would set the students on a question they needed to discuss in groups and then I would as the person to come up and talk to me. Then I would ask possibly the same questions I would ask at the end of class, how is your actions appropriate, why do you think that the actions that are being displayed are possibly interfering with their own education and the students around him. This can be connected to BLT while managing my class. Also I feel that I would treat each outburst or attitude in the same fashion. This way one student will not complain that she received a different treatment than he did.
   I truly feel that respect is the main thing that needs to be established when dealing with classroom management. That can come down to the respect of the students and their learning. Their motivation and their overall education would be coming from me. If I give them no reason to be motivated, no reason to want to learn, I am not respecting them, and my classroom will not run as smoothly because they will not feel the need to turn in homework, participate in class or behave in my class. Learning theory can connect and help structure the way a classroom is set up just like it can inform a teacher on how to prepare lessons. Keeping the learning theories in mind will make the classroom run smoother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment